Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Good to me

Counting from the end of tonight, in the past week I've been on 7 airplanes. I'm even updating this blog from the Charlotte airport again...

I had to go up to Ohio for the funeral of a family friend, Jim Campbell. His wife, Chris, and he lived with my family three different times when we were young. They were our "nannies," but not in a rich-people way. They helped raise Jordan and me. I called Chris "Somebody" and Jim "Nobody." As in, "I want Nobody to tie my shoes." No idea why I started that. I probably wasn't spanked enough.



Jim was my dad's age. His death was unexpected. Chris has a long, hard row to hoe from here on out. They were inseparable. You can't just say Chris, or Jim; it has to be Chris & Jim or it sounds weird. They had no children of their own, but they were second-parents to so many other kids. Spiritually really great, strong people as well. I learned a lot about both of them when I was up there for the funeral. I was so very close to not even going, but I'm so very glad that I did. Chris and I had an excellent conversation last night. Please pray for her. The week or so between death and funeral is a crazy blur. You're full of emotion and grief, but you also have a lot of stuff to keep you busy. The reality hits you smack in the face after this, and it's hell. I wouldn't trade places with her for anything. It fills me with dread just thinking about it. This sounds grim but I'm just being honest.

On another subject, it was also nice to see the area where I lived from age 4 - 9. Though that doesn't seem like a really long time, they were very formative years, and it was so hard for me when we left Ohio to move to TN. I made peace with that many years ago, and I don't really miss it. But my GPS took me a very circuitous route due to construction, and spring was full-on. I forgot how beautiful it can be there. I can't really describe it, but it seems a very old kind of beauty. Deep-rooted yet wild. I loved seeing it. I also drove by our old house, which was a really cool house. I'm proud to say it is no longer painted Robin's Egg Blue with maroon shutters. It's back to a nice, light yellow color. When I was younger, I thought I was too smart to ever think, "The place seems so much smaller than when I was a kid." I thought it seemed too obvious. But my elementary school, which I remember being enormous, looks like I could leisurely walk across it in 40 seconds.

Also, I have bad news about my grandpa (mom's father). We've known for years he had dementia, but it seems like it's reaching a really bad stage. He loves to read, and the other day he picked up several books, wondering who had put black marks all over them. He couldn't remember how to read. There were a few other memory/awareness-related incidents that were really upsetting as well. He knows something's up, and I'm sure it's torture for him. He's such an intelligent man. For so many years, he was in much better shape than most men his age (and many younger). My grandma isn't in good physical shape either, and I know it's hard on her to deal with all of this. One of my uncles lives with them. He helps out a lot, but he has a job as well, so he can't be there all the time.

Please pray for my loved ones mentioned in this post. I don't think I posted about this, but a close childhood friend of mine killed himself last week. He was 27. Another unexpected tragedy. He's leaving behind two little girls. It seems like death is everywhere lately. It's scary and dreadful. But I have to admit, I feel a lot of love from the Father, and I'm not without hope. He is SO good. My time in Poland really taught me a lot about how much He loves me (and everyone), and I'm sure without that experience I'd be in a much darker state of mind. But I admit I will be devastated when Grandpa goes.

One more thing. When I was getting free breakfast at the hotel today, I overheard a woman talking to one of the workers about her upcoming surgery to remove cancer. Breast cancer, I think. She tried to sound brave, but I know she was scared. She's already had it operated on once, and now it's back. That's never good. Afterwards, I told her I would pray for her. And I have been. It would be great if you would say a prayer for her too. I don't know anything about her, her name or anything. But she seemed sweet.

There's really no point to this post... I'm just kind of typing as I think, and taking advantage of the novelty of my situation. I'm looking forward to setting for another week, and then I'll be going to Montreal to visit Cameron for two weeks. Someday I'll sit down and find a job. I'm just trying to delay that as long as I can. Unless I get that job I applied for at the Library, however. I would love that.

Books!!!!

CLB

0 comments: